To apply for consideration, please submit the online screening form.
See below for details on the internship.
Our Social Media Interns will play a critical role in increasing awareness of the free InReach App (the world’s first tech platform matching LGBTQ+ people facing discrimination and persecution with safe, verified resources). Join us to help ensure safe help is always in reach for all members of the diverse LGBTQ+ community.
During this internship, you will have the opportunity to curate the front of a trans-led nonprofit organization serving the LGBTQ+ community. You will work on and expand InReach’s social media presence and foster virtual relationships with our current and potential community partners.
We are looking for meticulous, hard-working students who are passionate about LGBTQ+ and refugee rights, and committed to ensuring the continued success of InReach. Those who are LGBTQ+, BIPOC, and/or members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Summer 2023 Internship Dates: Tuesday, May 30 – Friday, August 18, 2023
- Required Hours Per Week: ~10-20 hours
- Summer 2023 Intern Shift Times: To help streamline communication and maximize engagement during the internship, Summer 2023 interns will be asked to sign-up for at least one of the following shift windows:
- Shift #1: Monday - Friday: From 11:30am-3:30pm EST / 8:30am-12:30pm PST
- Shift #2: Monday - Friday: 1pm-5pm EST / 10am-2pm PST
- Shift #3: Monday - Thursday: From 12pm-5pm EST / 9am-2pm PST
- Shift #4: Tuesday - Friday: From 12pm-5pm EST / 9am-2pm PST
- Shift #5 (extended shift option): 9am-5pm EST or 9am-5pm PST
*If none of the above shift times work for you or you would like to do less hours (~10 hours per week), please let us know in your application. The InReach team can work with successful applicants on setting an internship schedule that works for them.
Note: This internship is remote and unpaid. InReach staff is happy to submit forms on behalf of interns who would like to earn academic credit from their universities for this internship. Interns may also opt to extend this internship into InReach’s Fall 2023 internship program.
- Report to our Partnerships & Operations Coordinator.
- Ensure InReach’s social media channels (such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, TikTok) are active, informative, and in line with our organizational voice.
- Curate and create content (graphics, videos, etc.) to advertise our free App, current events that are LGBTQ+ related (such as legislation, public perspective, etc.), and promote education on LGBTQ+ issues.
- Engage on socials with our community partners, content creators, and other relevant accounts.
- Help us increase our following and visibility across social platforms.
- Additional ad hoc tasks relevant to InReach operations as needed.
- Obtained or pursuing a college degree in any field.
- Strong interest and knowledge on LGBTQ+ and refugee rights, as well as interest in utilizing technology for social good.
- Comfortable and/or willing to learn how to use online communication tools such as Slack and Asana, and online design sites such as Canva.
- Knowledge of basic design principles; previous experience in social media, graphic design, and/or video editing is a plus. (Samples of your previous work are more than welcome with your application!)
- The ability to follow instructions and work independently and as a team in a remote environment.
- You are reliable, meticulous and appreciate the value of deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral English language skills.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Gain hands-on experience in social media and building the brand of an up-and-coming nonprofit organization at the forefront of LGBTQ+ and refugee rights, and technology for social good.
- Develop and expand knowledge of LGBTQ+ issues.
- Professional development opportunities such as intern networking circles and other virtual programming.
- Interns will also have the opportunity to receive a letter of reference from InReach upon successful completion of the internship.