No products in the cart.
Translation Intern Spring 2024
- CLICK HERE to submit our Translation intern application.
- See below for details on the internship.
We're looking for interns to join our Translation Team during Spring 2024!
For Spring 2024, the following languages are needed:
- Afrikaans, Arabic, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, and Ukrainian.
Internship Schedule and Compensation
- Spring 2024 Internship Dates: Monday, January 22 - Friday, April 26, 2024
- Required Hours Per Week: 10 hours (*interns who would like to work more than 10 hours per week are welcome to sign-up for multiple shift times, per the below schedule)
- Spring 2024 Intern Shift Times: To help streamline communication and maximize engagement during the internship, Spring 2024 interns will be asked to sign-up for at least one of the following shift windows:
- Shift #1: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: From 3:30pm-6pm EST / 12:30pm-3pm PST
- Shift #2: Wednesday, Friday: From 1pm-6pm EST / 10am-3pm PST
- Shift #3: Monday - Friday: 4pm-6pm EST / 1pm-3pm PST
- Shift #4: Monday - Friday: 5pm-7pm EST / 2pm-4pm PST
- Shift #5: Monday - Friday: 10am-12pm EST / 7am-9am PST
- Shift #6 (extended shift option): 10am-5pm EST or 10am-5pm PST
*Note: This internship is remote and unpaid. InReach staff is happy to submit forms on behalf of interns who would like to earn academic credit from their universities for this internship. Please specify what forms are required by your university in your application.
- Report to our Resource Coordinator.
- Complete a comprehensive virtual training program designed to enhance interns' knowledge of global and national LGBTQ+ rights, LGBTQ+ terminology, intersectionality within the diverse LGBTQ+ community, and the double marginalization of LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and other LGBTQ+ people facing persecution.
- Use Crowdin, a third-party translation system, to translate text from English into a second language.
- Proofread translations done by other volunteer, contract, or external translators.
- “Accept” or “decline” Crowdin machine-produced and human-created translations. Translations you “accept” will appear on the InReach App.
- Provide helpful feedback to other volunteer translators when needed.
- Collaborate with the InReach translation team via Slack when any translation questions arise.
- Additional ad hoc translation tasks (as needed).
- Obtained or pursuing a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree.
- Bilingual in English and at least one of the following languages: Afrikaans, Arabic, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Ukrainian.
- You are willing and able to write in gender-inclusive language in both English and a second language (e.g., e/x in Spanish vs. a/o; folx vs. men and women in English).
- You are willing and able to learn how to use Crowdin and Slack.
- You are passionate about language justice, migrant justice and LGBTQ+ rights.
- You are available for at least 10 hours per week during InReach’s designated intern shift times (as described above).
- You are comfortable using online communication tools (e.g. G Suite, Slack, Zoom).
- The ability to follow instructions and work independently in a remote environment.
Sample Internship Benefits
- Gain access to an extensive virtual training program where interns learn in-depth about the state of global and national LGBTQ+ rights, LGBTQ+ terminology, intersectionality, and the double marginalization of LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and other LGBTQ+ people facing persecution.
- Gain experience with Crowdin, an online localization tool.
- Use your language skills for good!
- The opportunity to increase resource access in your community by contributing to InReach’s Local Community Reviewer (LCR) program.
- Enhance your understanding of the social services sector.
- Gain practical experience in LGBTQ+ rights, refugee/forced migration and the human rights sector.
- Interns will also have the opportunity to receive a letter of reference from InReach upon successful completion of the internship.
Beginning of employment
Monday, January 22 - Friday, April 26, 2024
Remote work from: USA, Canada, Mexico
October 30, 2023